Tuesday 5 May 2015

Working with Fabric Paper

I've been working increasingly with fabric paper & have been using small amounts in my textile art for a while.
I discovered the technique about five years ago and it seemed to combine my love of fabric, paper and collage.
I like how the paper creases when I make it and the fact that I can collage or paint, print or stitch into its robust surface and I'm quite pleased with the effect I've managed to recreate of the look of wooden boards in this piece.

Here's what I did...

I've used watered down PVA glue over a layer of muslin, which is covered with tissue paper, then more PVA glue. You can use any coloured tissue or magazine papers, but here I wanted to paint it later so have used white...


After drying out fully, I've then used Koh-i-nor dyes  to paint over it, followed by a touch of Derwent Inktense pencil...and voila.. a robust stitching surface.


I used fusible webbing on the reverse and then free machined from the back to recreate  the wood grain effect using two coloured brown threads.


...and here is the finished effect on the final piece...

   ...close up
 
 
 
...and the finished piece 
 
You can read more about this piece on my other blog "Sanctuary in Stitch"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment